Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Chia Pod...homemade

I saw this new product "Chia Pods" at Whole Foods and it looked like something awesome to try but the last thing I wanted was to get hooked on these things that are $3 a pop. So I took it upon myself to make my own...I mean, how hard could it be? I'm still working on the consistency but all in all this is a pretty sweet recipe! This is perfect for slamming down a few bites pre-workout in the morning and then after the workout I have my protein shake. This recipe makes enough for me to have about a 1/3 cup serving each morning equalling about 90 calories.

Here is the famous Chia Pod. Nothing but chia seeds, coconut milk and fruit...combined to make a delicious combination that is somewhere between yogurt and tapioca pudding. 

To reduce the calories since coconut milk is fairly high, I decided to use almond milk instead. The ingredients I used are:
8 oz almond milk
2 T chia seeds
1 scoop protein powder
2 packets stevia
2 peaches (can use any fruit really, I tried with banana last time and it was delicious)
 
First I made a chia gel by combining the almond milk and chia seeds. Once the seeds start to mix, they will turn into a gel (you will want to stir a few times). To make the consistency thicker I think I may use coconut yogurt in the future or a half/half of coconut yogurt and almond milk. But this still worked out.
 
 
Then I mixed the rest of the ingredients in the food processor.
 
 
Finally I mixed all together. Ta-da!
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: